Are you an expecting mother and planning to give your baby the best chance for their healthy life? Well, whether you are planning to straighten your teeth since you were in the middle school or it is something you want to check off your list before your baby arrives, there is no need to put off braces while you remain pregnant. The dental devices are a great way to help with teeth alignment and improve their functioning at any age. An important question related to braces treatment is how safe will it be for you and your baby? Should you have healthy teeth for wearing the aligners? Are conducting X-rays safe while you are pregnant? Here is what else you should do to get straighter teeth before settling into an orthodontist’s chair.
What is orthodontic procedure during pregnancy?
Pregnancy is the time when a woman should remain careful about any treatment she performs including dental care. Orthodontic treatment during pregnancy can be done either by wearing braces on the teeth or using a system for holding the teeth in an optimal position when they are growing.
Both kinds of orthodontic procedures during pregnancy are a safe choice when done by an orthodontist. But there are certain precautions to take for the safety of you and your baby. Firstly, you need to consult with your orthodontist before undergoing any orthodontic procedure during your pregnancy. They will provide you with detailed information about the safety of the procedure and answer any queries you may have.
If you are planning to perform orthodontic treatment while pregnant, then there are several options available to you and your doctor. Together, both of you can select a plan that will satisfy your needs and concerns while, at the same time, maintain your and your child’s safety.
Is it possible to wear braces during pregnancy?
If you are planning to get on your braces during pregnancy, then the answer is yes. This will not affect your health or your baby’s health in anyway. That being said, you need to follow certain precautionary measures and stay informed about dental procedures to keep yourself and your child safe.
Types of braces which are convenient for pregnant women
There are different options available in braces that will fulfil your exact requirement. Here are some suitable options your orthodontist may suggest:
- Retainers – This is a suitable option when you require minor alignment of your tooth. The orthodontic treatment can help to solve small dental concerns.
- Traditional braces – The method requires using brackets and wires for putting pressure on the teeth to reach proper place.
- Invisalign – The procedure uses clear aligners which apply pressure on the teeth for their proper alignment. These braces are almost invisible and they can be removed at the time of eating, brushing, drinking and flossing. This is a good option for pregnant women as it poses lesser threat to gum health condition.
How to protect your dental health in pregnancy
Morning sickness is something uncomfortable and different women suffer from different morning sickness levels. Anything which seems to be highly acidic gets in contact with your teeth and cause acid erosion or teeth thinning. If you experience severe morning sickness day after day, this can have extreme effect on the teeth, causing thinning almost daily unless you can manage it in a proactive manner.
So, after you have an episode of morning sickness, the best thing to do is to hydrate and neutralise mouth. You should not brush teeth right away as this will remove softened enamel layer. Rather, rinse mouth thoroughly with water or baking soda to neutralise acid in your mouth thus lessening further erosion.
How braces affect hormonal health during pregnancy
Pregnancy can make several changes in the hormones and cause several oral problems at the time of pregnancy. It is important to take proper care of your dental health and prevent any dental concerns when you conceive. When you wear braces during pregnancy, this can increase the chances of having gingivitis or periodontal diseases, which lead to accumulation of plague on the braces. The hormonal health is somewhat related to your gum health which means when you suffer from gum problems like gingivitis, it can affect your hormonal levels.
Necessary steps to take care of braces during pregnancy
Are you wearing orthodontic wear braces during pregnancy? If yes, then you need to take proper care of the braces to avoid dental problems. Here are some steps to follow for taking care of your aligners:
- Floss daily – Like brushing, flossing is very important to maintain good dental health and hygiene. Though it can be somewhat tedious with your braces, it will keep teeth or gum problems far away during pregnancy.
- Use fluoride-based toothpaste – You can ask the dentist to prescribe effective toothpaste to use while you wear your braces. This ensures the invisible braces will remain in good condition till you change them to the next set in the treatment process.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly – The small food particles which remain inside your mouth can be the reason for bacterial growth and other dental problems. It is important to eliminate these food particles and rinse mouth properly after you eat anything.
- Visit a dentist regularly – When you wear braces during pregnancy, it is advised to see a dentist for routine checkups. He can assess your oral health condition and see whether you have any serious dental concerns that should be treated immediately.
Wearing your braces at the right time can help to achieve your perfect smile. It is advisable to consult with the dentist and know about the treatment process before you decide to put on your aligners for teeth straightening.
When it is the right time to straighten teeth during your pregnancy
The pregnant women who need to perform orthodontic procedure during pregnancy do not face any serious problems. As Invisalign and other orthodontic devices need getting used to them, it is usually suggested to start with the treatment before conception for giving your mouth some time to adjust accordingly. This can prevent possible risk of x-rays and lessen the chances of any discomfort. Some women have easy time during the second trimester when the symptoms of morning sickness have already subsided.
It is perfectly a safe choice to wear and adjust with braces while you remain pregnant. Once the X-rays are done and you do not have other pregnancy complications, you and your private orthodontist in London should prepare a suitable treatment plan that will fit your pregnancy in the perfect way.