Over the years, Kashmir is emerging as one of the best trekking destinations. Amongst its many trekking trails, the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is one of the popular treks that etches a beautiful memory for the trekkers. Its pristine lakes, surrounded mountain peaks and rich culture is some of the best attractions. If you are planning for a trekking experience, then this is perfect choice to embark on. But before you begin your journey, it is essential to collect as much information as you can. In this article, we bring you narration of Kashmir Great Lakes Trek, including best time to visit, cultural impact, and attractions.
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek: A beautiful Destination
It is situated at the Northern Himalayas at an altitude of more than 12,500 feet. Trekkers takes around 7-9 days to complete this journey that begins from Sonmarg and passes through Nichnai Pass and other spots. It could be a difficult trek for beginners because of the rocky paths and sharp ascent and descent terrains. Tribal people of Gujjars and Bakarwal communities reside in this place for more than hundreds of years adapting to the mountain climate and feeding upon hilly vegetations.
Summer’s Delight: Perfect season for Trekking
Out of all the seasons, Summer is the best time to visit this place and explore its charming landscapes. Following are some factors due to which it is claimed as the best time for trekking:
- Accessibility – After the harsh winter during December, and January, the mountain peaks reflect some green patches as the snow begins to melt. Maximum remote places get unblocked, allowing you to trek deep into the Himalayan regions.
- Pleasant Weather – The weather currently is pleasant showing clear blue sky, indicating suitable conditions for trekking activities. The temperature also revolves around 150 C to 200 C supporting you in your successful journey.
- Wildlife Encounters – If you are lucky enough, you can get rare glimpse of mountain mammals soaking under the sun. Some unique species of birds are also seen habituating in the dense forest as well. Mammals like common leopard, and Himalayan Marmot are seen during this time and amongst birds Snow pigeons and Himalayan Monal often get into sight.
Best Attractions of Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
There are famous attractions in this place at every step of your trekking. Following are some of the best attractions which you should consider exploring:
- Alpine Lakes – This trek is known for its renowned pristine lakes surrounded by alpine forests. Each lake has its own charm, reflecting mountain peaks, wildflowers, and aquatic fish.
- Alpine Meadows – In your trekking to Kashmir Great Lakes, you will traverse through lush alpine meadows consisting of wildflowers. During the summer the trees completely looks tall, reflecting dense nature of the mountain.
- Rugged Terrain and Challenging Passes – This terrain is a diversified land of rocky paths, vigilant forest trails, and different high passes. Climbing to the hills will be tough and challenging, testing your mental and physical abilities to its fullest potential.
Meeting the Locals
Apart from the natural beauty, you will meet warm and friendly villagers who call this mountain as their home. They are being living in this region for more than hundred years now and is probably one of the factors for your memory down the lane.
When you visit to the villages during your trekking, the locals will welcome you with open arms and greet you with a sweet smile. Most of the time they offer local tea with snacks and share their beliefs and cultural practices with the tourists. Understanding their lifestyle will be a great feeling in your journey. So, take some time, sit with them, and hear about the history of the Himalayan ranges.
A Brief Itinerary
A brief itinerary always keeps you aware of the routes and allows advance planning for the day. Following is a sample of a brief itinerary that will help you as a base of your plan:
- Day 1 – Srinagar to Sonmarg
- Day 2 – Sonmarg to Nichnai Pass (9 Kms)
- Day 3 – Nichnai Pass to Vishansar Lake (13 Kms)
- Day 4 – Vishansar Lake to Gadsar Lake (14 Kms)
- Day 5 – Gadsar Lake to Satsar Lake (12 Kms)
- Day 6 – Satsar Lake to Gangabal Lake (9 Kms)
- Day 7 – Gangabal Lake to Naranag Lake (13 Kms) to Drive to Srinagar
The Kashmiri Great Lakes Trek is a journey that leaves you mesmerised. It will give you a taste of an achievement and in the end of your journey it will wake your spiritual side as well. Its serene environment and difficult terrain will inspire you and the warmth of the local hospitality will give a unique experience. So, make your reservations early and embark on this unforgettable journey.