The About Us page is one of the most essential pages on your website. It is your chance to introduce your team, tell your story and explain what you do. But how can you design the perfect About Us page demanding attention? Keep reading to find some website design best practices when creating the About Us page.
What is an ‘About Us’ page and its purpose?
All types of businesses and brands use The About Us pages to give the target audience valuable insight into who is involved with the business and what it offers. Along with the history of the business, this page often offers the history of the people responsible for building the brand or business from scratch.
Depending on the specific brand, the information provided may be about business objectives, attitudes and other aspects of culture. Some of the information might be separate from business practices but offer a glimpse into the lives and struggles of the people in charge.
Finally, the About Us page may also incorporate locational or contact information.
This page aims to inform the readers about the brand or company and its operations. It is a marketing tool enticing readers to learn about the history, as well as, the aspirations of a business. Also, this page adds a human element that makes the brand appealing and trustworthy.
So, when you approach a website design agency in London with your project, remember to pay close attention to the design and creation of the About Us page. Besides the Homepage, it is here that your audience will gain information about you, your business and decide to become a part of your journey.
What elements are included in the About Us page?
The content for the About Us page generally includes company history, leadership and employee profiles, social responsibility efforts, mission & vision and a note for job seekers.
The content must be structured properly so it immediately grabs the attention of the readers. This is done by including the following elements:
- Videos – You can tell a story by creating a video. It can be something simple and eye-catching. The video can be short, documentary-style, or only highlight the main points and leave the rest.
- Infographics – You can use infographics to showcase your company’s history. Infographics are interactive and visually appealing. Hence, they stand out from the written text and can help the readers grasp all the essential information at a glance. If your target demographic is young, using infographics can be a practical approach to connecting with them.
- Images – Since infographics and videos take time to create, many businesses opt for pictures. High-definition pictures can get the job done and can cut the monotony of the written text.
- Text – Search engines can recognise visual points, but there is nothing better than text. Hence, you must use well-crafted text with images, videos or infographics. This will create a balanced-looking About Us page, capturing the attention of the readers.
Tips for creating the perfect About Us page
- Keep it simple
Avoid using industry jargon when creating content for the About Us page. Also, avoid using big blocks of text that will demotivate the readers to continue reading further. You must balance the page’s design with pictures, text and other forms of visual cues.
After you have described your company, remember to add contact details and CTA.
- The page must load quickly
Leveraging engaging visuals is an excellent way to attract the attention of the readers, but the visuals used must not interfere with the page loading speed. Users will leave the page without reading if the page takes too long to read.
- Tell a story
Use the About Us page to humanise your brand. Tell a story about your company or brand that your audience can relate to. Your story must be transparent, encouraging readers to trust you.
The text will vary depending on your business objectives and type of business. But you can engage a professional content writing service to help you spin a story that will resonate with your audience. It is important to make a long-lasting impression and encourage the readers to continue reading.
So, there is no set way to design an About Us page for your website. It depends on your brand and business objectives. The page can be informative, fun or a combination of both. It must include engaging visuals and be engaging enough to make the target audience trust you. Most importantly, it must reflect your brand.
Once the page is ready and your website is complete, focus on promoting your website to drive relevant traffic. Besides aiming for a high rank on search engine results pages, you can use social media channels to get the word out. Hence, working with a website design and social media marketing agency in London will ensure you get end-to-end services.
What are your thoughts on designing the About Us page of a website? Share your views in the comments below.